German utility EnBW has completed the installation of all 71 turbines at its offshore wind project Hohe See in the German part of the North Sea.
Commissioning of the array continues after 27 of its turbines have already been put into operation.
At the same time installation vessels Blue Tern and Brave Tern are on their way to the adjacent Albatros wind project to install 16 further wind turbines.
When both arrays are completed and operational – expected until the end of this year – they will have a combined capacity of 609MW and be EnBW’s largest operating wind farm.
The Hohe See-Albatros twin projects, however, won’t feature amid Europe’s 10 largest offshore wind array’s, a list that is dominated by UK and Dutch projects.
Canadian energy infrastructure company Enbridge owns 49.9% in Hohe See-Albatros, while EnBW holds the remaining 50.1%.
To put the project into operation on time, over 600 employees are working at the construction site in the middle of the North Sea, some 95 kilometres north of the island of Borkum. Around 50 ships are involved in the construction work, EnBW said.
The effort seems to be worth it for EnBW.
The utility at the presentation of first half earnings last month said it expects profits to rise this year as a result of first earnings starting to trickle in from Hohe See and Albatros.