Wind

More

Connecticut launches 2GW offshore wind call

State becomes latest to seek power from growing US offshore wind sector

Connecticut has fired the starting pistol on its first 2GW offshore wind request for proposals (RFP), becoming the latest US state seeking to tap into the renewable energy source.

The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) issued the RFP after conducting consultations following the release of a draft version in July.

Bidders have until 30 September to enter the process.

DEEP said it has included new requirements on planning for environmental impacts since issuing the draft.

Vineyard timeline 'no longer feasible' after US regulatory delay

Read more

“This RFP represents the future of the state’s environmental, energy, and economic potential,” said Governor Ned Lamont. “I commend DEEP and the Commission on Environmental Standards for working so thoroughly to find the right balance in this RFP to preserve our ocean ecosystem while encouraging the development of a local renewable energy industry.”

Connecticut has already dipped its toe in the water for offshore wind, when the Orsted-owned Revolution Wind was last year successful in a general clean-energy tender.

The Connecticut RFP comes amid high-profile delays to plans for the first commercial-scale US offshore wind farm off neighbouring Massachusetts, after the US federal Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) insisted on reviewing the cumulative impact of all East Coast projects before issuing a final environmental OK to the 800MW Vineyard Wind.

Read Next


Floating wind power ‘could save Californians $2bn by 2040’

Consultancy E3 claims 7-9GW fleet would meet 10% of electricity demand in the Golden State

19 Aug 14:51 GMT

Latest