By Darius Snieckus in Bristol
Friday, April 11 2014
Updated: Friday, April 11 2014
The contractor carried out the heavylift, which took place in water depths of 23 meters, using its Oleg Strashnov crane vessel, which installed the transformer’s jacket and transition pieces last year.
“The co-operation with WindMW has been very constructive,” says SHL chief operating officer Peter de Bree.
“This is our first job in the North Sea after having been out of the [region] for six months. Thanks to the weather and very good preparations by both WindMW and the SHL team, we had the topside installed within 24 hours.”
The €1.2bn ($1.65bn) Meerwind project, located in the German Bight, is built around 80 Siemens 3.6MW turbines, the last of which were installed last week.
The development has had suffered grid-connection delays, and also took a hit on costs of between €10m and €15m to clear unexploded World War II bombs found on the wind farm’s acreage.
WindMW is owned 80% by US private equity firm Blackstone, with developer Windland Energieerzeugung holding the remaining 20%.
NEWS FROM OTHER NHST SITES
To protect your subscription investment, we've instituted a security system to protect against the electronic redistribution of copyrighted Rechargenews content. Read more