Solar

More

Orix builds Japan's first ex-airport PV

Orix and engineering services provider Kyudenko have connected 8.2MW of solar to the grid on the grounds of an unused airport in southwestern Japan.

Hanwha Q Cells provided 33,544 PV modules for the project, an Orix spokesperson tells Recharge.

The plant — on the bottom of the Satsuma peninsula in Makurazaki, Kagoshima prefecture, on the island of Kyushu — is reportedly the first in the country to be built on the site of a former airport.

The Makurazaki Airport closed at the end of fiscal 2012, Orix said in an online statement.

The array will generate enough electricity to supply 2,550 homes per year.

Orix owns 70% of K Clean Energy, the project operator, while Kyudenko holds the remaining 30%.

The partners are also working with Kyocera and German PV developer Photovolt Development Partners on a 430MW PV project in Nagasaki prefecture, on the western side of Kyushu.

In June, Orix started building a 51MW PV plant near Nagoya, using Toshiba solar panels.

Latest